Hi! I’m Sarah

Well, I started this website about four months ago, super excited to start sharing the projects I had going on around the house, and then….nothing. Sometime in September (or October?) my neighbor commissioned a project that took up my time for quite a while. He collects phosphorescent minerals, and until now he’s had them all piled up in a big aquarium. He saw me out working in the garage one day and came over, asking if I could build him a big display cabinet.

Here’s what I came up with. It’s 4 feet high, 4 feet wide, and 2.5 feet deep. Three short-wavelength lights shine down through the top, and a black light is mounted in front at the top. I think my neighbor’s collection is still too large to completely fit in the cabinet, so it’s taking him a while to arrange everything and I haven’t had a chance to see it all set up yet. That means I only have pictures of the cabinet in my driveway with the protective plastic still stuck to the plexiglass, but you get the idea. I guess I could have used the camera instead of my cell phone, but I was SO OVER this project at this point that I just wanted to wheel it across the street and be done with it.

Front2

Check out this behemoth. My neighbor wanted just the upper cabinet section, and he was going to put it on a stack of milk crates covered with a cloth. That didn’t quite sit right with me, so I added the silly-looking but much sturdier 2×4 legs.

Bottom_Trim

I routed all this molding, and I must say, it ended up looking pretty nice.

Anyway, now that that’s finished, and the holidays are over, and I’m finally almost recovered from a nasty bout of bronchitis, I’m feeling super motivated. Again. I have a very long to-build list that I’ve been prioritizing and re-prioritizing and itching to start digging into. Before that though, I want to rewind a bit a talk about a few of the things I managed to accomplish since this all got going, because we’ve had quite a transformation going on in our master suite!

Since we moved into the house, I’ve spent most of my attention trying to prettify the common spaces, since that’s what our guests see.  But every night when we would head up to bed, the bedroom just didn’t feel the way it should. It had bad 80’s wallpaper, bad paint colors, and curtains haphazardly thrown up for privacy with curtain rods that started falling down. It stressed me out rather than helped me unwind for the night. I decided to ignore the downstairs for a while until I get our master feeling more like a soothing retreat, so we can have a nice place to relax and unwind at the end of our long days. And you know, kindle a little romance, or whatever.

So far I’ve removed the wallpaper and painted in the bathroom, replaced the bathroom floor, and painted the bedroom. It’s not much, but it makes a huge difference. I finally re-hung our curtains with sturdy new curtain rods so they should be up for good this time. Right now I’m working on rehabbing the headboard I built a few years back, and then I have a bunch of projects lined up that I can’t wait to get started on. So stay tuned for several new posts that should be going up in the near future!

Signature Blue